Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Im hooked...

I've even been called by some a "hoarder" but whatever...if your hungry I've got food. It started out as a freezer meal swap with some friends. The ease of defrosting and cooking and cleaning up a freezer meal quickly became addictive. So I decided to make 30. I did it in 3 days for less than $130. Our freezer is full! Between the meals and other items in there we are currently putting heavy car kits on the lid of our chest freezer to keep it sealed tight.
I have been couponing for over a year - the economy sucked and the easiest way to save money (for us) was on food. I had a goal to save 50% off my bill on a regular basis. I didn't always do it, I probably averaged around 40% (it shows me on my receipt). Until today. Today I purchased all the food shown above (30 items) for $15. The retail value was $67. I saved 76%! Yeah! Do I need 6 cans of evaporated milk or 6 bags of chex mix? Maybe not today - but sometime. And I will have gotten them for nearly free. Its my way of doing food storage I guess. So some can laugh, but in an emergency you can hike your way to my house and I will share my food...if you say I was right.

5 comments:

Megan said...

That's awesome! :)

Lisa said...

Hahaha! You crack me up!

Cindy said...

I do that all the time! Way to go, Sarah. Good deals=peace of mind and food storage to boot!

The And Fam said...

Awesome! It's such a feeling of accomplishment to know you saved. I love couponing!

Anonymous said...

There are so many ways of saving, and this is one of the better ones. Congratulations on finding one that you can do relatively easily and enjoy at the same time. You are one smart lady and I love you lots. Yeah, okay, I love the rest of the family too.
Love,
Aunt Marilyn