Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Got dirt?

Okay. My dirt delivery was postponed to today by my choice and I went out this morning to borrow a wheel barrow and came home to this...
Supposedly it is one cubic yard of dirt (just shy of what a computer calcultaed I would need for my two 4 by 8 planters) Brody and I got busy and huffed and puffed and hauled the dirt from the driveway to the back yard to fill the planters...a couple of hours later (we stopped for lunch) the planters were full and this is what was left on my driveway...
Hello??? Do you think we grossly overestimated the dirt?? I need to check with the dirt people and make sure there wasn't a mistake...but if there was no mistake anyone out there needing dirt should give me a call. Oh - its good dirt too (half soil half compost) There are a couple of funny things about this...first, when I calculated by myself how much dirt I thought we'd need I guessed 10 cubic yards - can you imagine, we'd be buried! and second, if this truly was only one cubic yard then it is the cheapest dirt ever. It was $30 for 1 cubic yard. The people delivered it for free because they could just drive the tractor across the street. At Lowes we guessed it would be over $150 for the same amount of dirt.
Needless to say, the car will be parked on the street tonight...Brandon will be building more planters...and I still think we'll have too much dirt. BUT, on the bright side...
In about 2 months we will have plenty of vegetables! The little plants look so happy to me. We planted strawberries, carrots, onions, broccoli, spinach, potatoes, red potatoes and cabbage. The first bed is full and the second is half full. So a third bed isn't a bad idea since there are a ton more things to plant when the weather warms up a little more.

4 comments:

Amy and William said...

You are so lucky to have a HUGE yard that you can just build another box! Can't wait to see the veggies when they are all grown!

Cindy said...

Don't get rid of the dirt just yet--once you start watering, it will settle a lot and you'll want some to fill in around your plants. Plus it is good to fill patio pots with and add some extra to your already established planters. If it gets windy there, you'll be surprised how much of it gets blown away.

Your raised beds look great! Take a picture every week or two so we can keep up on the progress.

Love you--

Lindsey and Ben said...

That is awesome! I loved the Brody helped you too! I love having a little helper to do the little things around the house! The planters look great! Keep us posted on the growing experience!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so a cubic yard of dirt is a lot of dirt!!!! It appears everyone else has already given you the advice that you will need more as time goes on. If it's going to get windy, you might want a tarp holding it down. Most of your neighbors will probably appreciate that too.

Love the opening pic of Brody and Ella. They change so much
Love,
Aunt Marilyn