Monday, March 16, 2009

Spring has Sprung!

Not much has been going on lately. Days are mellow and pretty low key. Brandon and I had to speak in Sacrament Meeting yesterday. Not one of my favorite tasks, but I think it went okay. Grandma and Grandpa made the trek from Frisco to watch the kidos during the meeting while we were on the stand. Personally, I think they had more fun than we did. By a long shot. I shouldn't complain though, we did make it a whole year in a new ward before we were asked.
Brody is ALL about trains right now. He eats, sleeps and prays for his trains. It is very cute, but at times tiresome to hear the boy in the backseat yell - STOP mom, I hear a train coming. It is surprising and catches me off guard sometimes, but then other times it is hilarious. In Sacrament Meeting on Sunday Brody turned to my dad and said..."Grandpa, there is a train stuck in the mud...we got to get out of here." This was after he had already told us that this was terrible and we had to get out of here. Do you see a pattern? The poor boy lives for nursery, but at this point does his best to just get through Sacrament Meeting.

Ella is constantly showing us that she is no longer our little baby. So sad. She has quite the personality and is still very much attached to me. She loves babys (alive and dolls) and brushing her hair and teeth. Her newest habit, that is really weird, is that she likes to bite peoples toes. She'll walk by and see your toes and go for them. I don't know if she thinks they are a good chew toy, or if she thinks its a game, but it makes us laugh. And hide our toes.
Our big girl!
AND -- the exciting news of the day is we have "above Ground" potato sprouts! Now I know something is growing under there! I actually dug around one a couple of weeks ago to see what was going on and saw that there were shoots coming off of it, so my curiousity was appeased. But while planting more plants today I saw the sprouts in the dirt. From what I understand about potatoes, they grow underneath the ground but there is a really pretty plant with flowers that grows above ground. I am so excited to see it all grow!
The potato sprouts are hard to see, but they are in the middle of the photo
Today we planted the vegetables that couldn't be planted when it was still cold. So we've added tomoatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, corn, peas, green beans, green and red peppers, cantaloupe and grapes. We also got another strawberry plant. We originally planted 4 strawberries and I think that only one survived. The nursery said that it was because of the cold - but when I originally bought the plants there a month ago they said it was okay and it hasn't froze since we planted them. So we aren't sure. We are still experimenting. I also lost my brocolli and cabbage. We are trying the cabbage again, but decided to give up on the brocolli for this year.
Notice the third vegetable bed - a product of too much dirt!
Last month we bought an apple tree. a pear tree and an oak tree. The fruit trees are starting to blossom leaves. Every time we go out to water we get excited to see each new leaf popping out. We tried on Saturday to get some willow trees for the side of the yard where the sun goes down to try and give some shade - but the guy we buy trees from was sold out. He is a grower from a couple hours away, so we have to wait until he comes again next month.
Brandon had the day off today so he did the first mow of the season. The yard does look nice, but Im not entirely ready to devote our Saturday mornings to yard work!
The "back nine" all cleaned up.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

It all looks great! Take the same pictures from the same place each week so you and WE can see the progress.

Lisa said...

Brandon said you guys did good, I was sad I missed it, Isabella was sick on Sunday. I love Ella's bow!! I don't think I have ever seen her wear one. And last, I love your gardens! And what a HUGE backyard, perfect for gardening!

Natalie said...

Where do you hear about these gardeners and dirt suppliers? Just curious...wish we would have been so adventurous with our yard. Can't wait to hear more updates on your huge garden. And to see pictures of your fruit trees.

I can't believe how big Ella looks now. No longer a baby anymore. I like your idea of a step stool for you. I'll have to try to get one for Alexis. She gets mad in the kitchen if she can't see what I'm doing. And yes, Alexis has an obsession lately with biting. She'll go in like she's going to kiss your cheek, and instead--she'll BITE it!! Yuck! Don't you love this stage?

BTW, your talks were really good.

Lindsey and Ben said...

Cute pictures of the kids and I loved Brody's comment to your dad. How do they come up with stuff like that! Your garden looks great too! What fun to have a big garden! Keep us posted on it!

Anonymous said...

So much excitement in your lives! Just to let you know--biting toes (and other things) is very typical with girls--not so much with boys. She will outgrow it, but there's something about exploring your world with your mouth that intrigues them.
How much info do you really want on potatoes? Here we have a potato blossom festival in the summer, complete with a queen and her court, even a carnival sometimes. Of course in Maine after 7 months of snow, we'll celebrate anything that survivies!

Love you all
Aunt Marilyn