Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Making of a Party

We've been sneaky around here, and I don't think I am good at it. I've been prompting the kids to keep secrets from their dad and we've been going places without telling him when he'd ask. We've been getting ready for Brandon's suprise 30th birthday party! I debated for awhile, we all know how much Brandon craves attention, but I was online one day and got an idea that I couldn't not go with. It was just a tag line that an older lady had said in response for someone turning 30, "Thirty is no more than 3 perfect 10's" So with that, and the fact that Brandon was born the day the U.S. won the gold medal in hockey in 1980 (after having beat USSR in the "Miracle on Ice" game) I planned everything with a patriotic red white and blue theme. It turned out so fun! The kids and I really enjoyed putting it all together for him.

Here is the poem I wrote for our evites:

It was the day that is known for the "Miracle on Ice"
But the Burton family got something a little more nice
A new baby boy that has grown into a man
So come and celebrate with us if you can!

Surprise or not, I really don't know,
But the party is happening - so why don't you go?
Bring the whole fam, there will be food and good fun
Stay for a bit, or until its all done.

The Olympics are back and we'll go for the gold
And Brandon is thirty, just verging on old
But its just a number, its not the end
Thirty is nothing more than 3 perfect 10's!


As a side note, when I planned the party I didn't know where Brandon would be working, so I wasn't sure how the "surprise" part was going to work...or if it would work!





The Party Planners - they used the leftovers to decorate the playroom for all the kids
(Dont judge my poster making abilies...its been awhile since my ASB days...and Brandon already pointed out I should have used "than" instead of "then" whatever...its over now.

No comments: