Thursday, May 13, 2010

When it rains it pours...

Ever since we got back from Sacramento we have felt like everything is going wrong! Brandon's cell phone has been acting annoying for quite some time, our lawn tractor wasn't working, our air conditioner wasn't working and then to top it off Brandon came in Tuesday morning and told me his car wouldn't start. It sucked!

Fortunately, we were able to get a new battery for Brandon's phone and it arrived yesterday...it still woke me up in the night beeping, but Im hoping it is a fluke.

Sears finally came out and fixed the tractor. It was under warranty so phew, no big deal.

The air conditioner...oh man. Welcome to home ownership! It was blowing, but not cold. I had someone come out Tuesday and they quoted me $1725 to "fix" it. They were going to come out Wednesday and fix it. Tuesday night and Wednesday morning I became increasingly uncomfortable with spending all that money and cancelled the appointment and got a second opinion. They came today and all I can say is that I am so grateful I called. They found no leak, and it needed no repairs. It was low on freon (but the other company had let some out)...we don't know if the problem is solved, but Im a lot more comfortable with taking the advice of the 2nd opinion...and his bill was no where near $1725. After they left this morning I called the first company up and I really tried my best to contain my anger with being misled. Im getting almost all of my money back from them - if anyone needs to know of a A/C service person in North Dallas...I can give you names of who to call, and who NOT to call.

The car. Oh brother! Okay, so Brandon has been driving my van to work all week since his car hasn't started. Tuesday night we jumped it and it worked so he drove it around the corner to Autozone to replace the battery. It died in the parking lot, and the battery tested fine. He had to walk home. Pricing out towing vs. paying for AAA and getting towing miles was a no brainer, but it was after hours. On Wednesday we joined AAA and late Wednesday night we had the car towed to the garage. Of course, as the towing person is getting the bill ready Brandon is able to start the car, over and over and over again. It works fine. The message came up "immobilizer" He called me and I googled it. Turns out, the solution is to unlock and lock the car 5 times to reset it. Are you kidding me?? So at 11:30 last night, after paying for a tow, my husband is a the garage, with now 2 working cars and only one driver to get one home. So I am still without a car. We think it is fine, but we are still checking into things to make sure Brandon won't get stuck somewhere while traveling. My goodness!

On Tuesday night we were feeling like, seriously, maybe a tornado should just come and finish us off. We were so discouraged...but now we are just counting our blessings that we were able to come up with relatively inexpensive (so far anyway) solutions to the problems. I can just picture Heavenly Father chuckling to himself somewhere while watching to see how we handle all these minor trials.

Im ready for the weekend. And my Mothers Day do-over.

1 comment:

Rob and Elyse said...

haha and yes, you are so right.. I can certainly relate to this one! And its just funny how even though you might not be in the "starving student" phase.. that sometimes it can just follow you regardless. But it certainly is important to notice the little things in life that the Lord blesses you with and thankfully you guys were able to figure some things out - as frustrating as it might have been!! haha but thats just lifes luck! I always say to myself - its just money its just money... but unfortunetly money is what makes the world go round! haha i'll cross my fingers for you, so that one day in the near future you can look back on moments like this and laugh!