Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Decision 2008!

Brandon laughs at my election day cheesey-ness, but I think it is cool! The kids and I went and early-voted last Wednesday - it was a breeze even with the little ones with me. Brody had such a good time he went later that evening with daddy. We were in the midst of preparing for Halloween, so Brody went half way dressed as a magician. I think the old people volunteering at the polling place get a kick out of stuff like that, so I am happy to oblige. Brandon was a little embarrassed that I'd let him go out like that, but I thought it was cute. Besides, there are plenty of opportunities for me to get embarrassed when I am out with the kids so it wouldn't hurt for Brandon to do it, right? Not only was Brody dressed in his costume, but we were trying to get him to get in the mode of saying "trick or treat". Well, Daddy must have expressed some political opinions to him on the way to the polls and he came home saying "No Obama" instead. He also learned who John McCain and Sarah Palin were - although what he remembers most and tells me everyday is that Daddy voted for No Obama. Its really cute coming from an innocent 2 year old.

My biggest cheesy-ness tradition started when I was in the sixth grade - back in 1992. Our homework assignment was to color a map the red states that voted republican and the blue states that voted democrat. It stuck. I have done this every election since then, and I LOVE it! I have a great time on election night watching the news and coloring in the US map. I plan on doing it tonight, and I will even print a map for Brody to color while he watches along. I guess I have to have something to do to keep my mind off the possibility of the election not going my way. So far I have always had my way, so maybe I am as good an indicator as the weather or the Redskins football team. Either way - we will have our "red white and blue" dinner, Brody is sporting his USA shirt today (Ella would too - but she's grown a lot since July!), and we will color in our maps while we watch the returns come in. We are very grateful for the electoral process (even if it doesn't always work flawlessly) and our hope and prayer is that whoever does get elected is able to remember the freedoms that our people have fought to protect for so long.

AND - we are thinking happy hopeful thoughts for our family in California! May all your hard work and time put into supporting Prop 8 pay off! We've been contacting any friends that we have in California to let them know why they should support Prop 8, and praying that the people of California will support families and the freedom to have moral beliefs. Good luck!


2 comments:

Kristin said...

I like your idea of the map, I am going to steal that and do with my kids. I know that Troy will be watching the election stuff tonight, so we are in a long night.
Your family looked so cute for Halloween. I am so impressed that you made your costumes. I now know who I am going to call next time I feel a little ambitious with my sewing projects and get in over my head. haha :)

with love, r said...

What's the red, white, and blue dinner?? I want to start that tradition!!