
Mind you this is a ONCE a year occurence for us - and we prepare for it. Some of us fast, others (like me) make sure to have Pepto in the cupboard for afterwards...but nonetheless...we look forward to it just the same.
The State Fair Fried Food Contest!
The Texas State Fair has a contest every year for the latest and greatest fried food creations. We have begun to think about how we ourselves could submit an entry and benefit from these high-priced tasty treats...deep fried LG Tacos (a Mullin family fave) have even been mentioned. Mmmmm.
So in no particular order...

Brandon and Brody trying the Deep Fried Cookie Dough

The Deep Fried Cookie Dough close up -- this was from a previous year, but it was new to us. We tried it, I wasn't impressed. Too chocolatey for me. Also, it wasn't appetizing to look at once the fried shell was bitten into. Im sort of weird though - I think Brandon and the kids liked it okay.

Here is Ella...finishing off one of last years winners...Deep Fried Jelly Bellys. We liked this enough we had to try it again this year. They taste like little mini jelly donut holes. Yum!

Deep Fried Butter! I know its been in the news and when I first heard I thought how gross...but then they described it and I couldn't wait to try it. It is a pad of butter dipped in batter and deep fried, served in the picture above with some grape jelly and a few sprinkles of powdered sugar. To me it tasted like a KFC biscuit slightly under cooked. It was delicious! It took home the Most Creative award for 2009.

The guys all gettin' a piece of the Gator...

...the grilled alligator. Brandon wanted to try it last year, but didn't...so he did this year with the other guys. They all liked it, and agreed that it was spicy and had a different flavor than chicken. Not bad...just different. My mom spit her bite in the trash.

Mom sampling a Sweet Jalapeno Corn Dog Shrimp...the name is decieving, it is shrimp skewered and dipped in corn dog fashion, then covered with a sweet jalapeno sauce. This was Brandon's favorite of the day.

Deep Fried Peaches and Cream...a few slices of fried peaches, a few slices of fresh peaches with a dallop of whipped cream, a cup of fresh cream sprinkled with cinnamon, and the whole plate drizzled with a raspberry sauce. Absolutely DELICIOUS! Definintely my favorite of the day. It also dazzled the judges and took home Best Tasting 2009. (Look at Ella staring at the plate - the girl loved it!)

Finishing off the night (and the last of our tickets) with a hand scooped Blue Bell Ice Cream cone. Blue Bell ice cream is so yummy. This ice cream cone was supposed to be mine, however the kids soon took over and I took it as a sign from my tummy that I needed to call it a night.
Other treats tried at the fair but not photographed:
Fletchers Corn Dogs - a favorite of mine, but this year I passed.
Kettle Corn - grandma's favorite
Twisted Yam on a Stick - another Fried Food Finalist - it was just alright. Im a fan of our homemade baked sweet potato fries, so these "sweet potato chips" didn't really wow me.
Texas Fried Pecan Pie - Another finalist...My parents and grandparents had this while we were at the petting zoo. It was my grandma's favorite. Everyone else liked it too (I think).
The only fried food finalists we DIDNT try were:
Country Fried Pork Chips (sounded too much like Pork Grinds - and they are just gross)
Fried Peanut Butter Cup Macaroon (just didn't grab our attention enough I guess - maybe next year)
5 comments:
I don't know if you could have taken a less flattering photo of me Sarah! The consolation is that the shrimp was TASTY, so those who see the photo should be jealous, right? Fun day in any case.
What a fun day! I've never seen anything like that in Maine. We just have potato blossom festivals and forty thousand ways to cook the darn things. None of which would appeal to anyone who actually had to pick them on the dark frosty mornings in October in Maine. Next time---send recipes!
Love,
Aunt Marilyn
Todd and I want to go to the Fair, too. I'm glad you had a great time! I'm not sure if I'll be brave enough to try the fried butter though. But the Fried Peaches and Cream sounds wonderful! And nothing is complete in TX w/o Bluebell. Thanks for sharing!
looks so good! definitely something i would like to do in the future! :)
Oh my gosh! That's the best part of the fair! I love all that yummy fried food!
Post a Comment