Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bubbles, Trains and Bathrooms...

Kind of a random subject - but it sums up the last week or so...Brandon's parents got in on Thursday night and we had a fun time visiting with them. The kids loved playing with Grandma and Grandpa and showing them all their toys. Brody loved playing trains with Grandpa - a special thank you to Grandpa for being a good sport! They both loved playing in the back yard and blowing bubbles.

Saturday night Grandma and Grandpa got to see a really good thunderstorm that left our fence filthy with mud and our garden well watered! Mike got some pictures of the storm that we'll have to get from them.

We went to the mall on Monday and made a stop at a toy store that happened to have a little train to ride in. Brody was in heaven of course, and Ella had a good time too.

We decided to do a project while the Burtons were here - so we painted our powder room. I have been wanting to do it for awhile, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. So Brandon and his dad did the base coat and then Theresa and I went over it with a glaze the next day. It turned out really nice and we topped it off with some art work I found at Kirklands Home (not related to Costco - but had surprisingly good prices). I wanted a cabinet for over the toilet since we don't have any storage in there for toilet paper, etc. We looked at several stores with no luck and then looked at pottery barn online on Saturday night and found this one...

We lucked out and the store had one in stock so we went down on Monday and bought it. I had been given a gift card awhile back and FINALLY found something to use it on.

Why the picture of the toilet you ask?? Well...my handy husband hung our nice new cabinet on the wall over the toilet. About 2 seconds later it fell off the wall and landed on the toilet tank - shattering it and spilling 1.6 gallons of water all over the floor. It wasn't Brandon's fault - it was just bad luck. The cabinet hangs on a metal lip and he thought it had caught the little lip it was supposed to hang from, but it really just was hanging by the edge of the wood so it slipped off. So...off to Lowes went Brandon and his dad, they came home with a new toilet tank and got it all installed. You just have to laugh because who would ever think that a toilet tank would break (by the way - the lid didn't break, just the tank beneath it!)

Here is a picture of the finished product (kind of) The bathroom is a really awkward angle under our stairs, so I couldn't get a good photo of the whole thing. I still need to get some towels and something to dress up the back of the toilet. I just have to think about it a little more and come up with something that Ella won't eat. She has a MAJOR fascination with bathrooms. Maybe she'll potty train easier!

So all this plus a lot of junk food and game playing sums up our weekend with Grandma and Grandpa. We loved being able to spend time with them. Thanks for helping paint while you were here!

5 comments:

Amy and William said...

The bathroom turned out really nice! I love the cabinet and glad that you were able to use the giftcard finally. Can't wait to see it in person! Love you all!

Mrs. Claussen said...

Paul got a great laugh out of Brandon handing the cabinet. (Although, I think Paul could have done that too).

Lisa said...

I love the color! Sorry to hear about the toilet, that it is kind of funny thought!

Cindy said...

I do love how the color turned out.
It is very polished and nice.

BTW--I finally noticed that you cut bangs! I like them. They look really good on you.

More pictures of your garden!

Love Ya!

Lindsey and Ben said...

Love the bathroom! I am glad that you had helpers to help out! What a fun weekend with grandma and grandpa!