Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Freaky Friday

It started off really pretty good. We got up, got dressed did some chores around the house and the kids and I were excited for Brandon to come home in the afternoon. I packed a lunch and snacks and got in the car to do some errands. I walked out into the garage to see this...She now climbs into the car by herself. This photo is of the second time I saw it - the first time she was standing on the console inbetween the driver and passenger seat waving at me. She was very proud of her accomplishment.

Back to our day...My kids are conditioned that if we are in the car they eat. Not a habit I am fond of - but I give snacks because I don't like the crying as the alternative. So we were off...at the bank the kids walked in and up to the teller to deposit the $10 they got from Great Grandma and Great Grandpa Mullin for Easter. They have little piggy pal accounts and whenever the kids come in to deposit money they get to pick a treasure from the treasure chest. Brody had a ball - and was so cute with the teller. It made Tammy's day to have a conversation with a three year old.

Back in the car we went to Lowes and then on to Walmart. It was 11:20. My kids were screaming for more food so we had our lunch in the car in the Walmart parking lot. They were much happier after a little pb&j. We went inside and did our shopping, got back in the car and were home by 12:30.
An hour later the kids were napping and I did the usual stuff I do the day Brandon comes home (vaccuuming, laundry, etc.)
The kids were both awake at 3:30 and we were all playing upstairs in the playroom. It was a nice day, and I knew Brandon would be home soon so I thought why not wait for him on our balcony. The kids would love watching him drive up and wave to him. So we were out on the balcony for a few minutes. I turned my back for one second - and turned back around to see Ella just about ready to step off the balcony on to the drive way below. She had squeezed herself in here...

My kids have big heads, but not big enough to keep Ella from getting between there. I yelled Ella No (in hindsight I probably shouldn't have - it may have enticed her only to move more quickly in the wrong direction) - but I was able to grab her and we immediately went inside. I was so scared. I clutched Ella in my arms and was just shaking. She was giggling like she normally would - but all I could see in my head was her falling off the edge. My mind keeps going back to "what if" Brandon got home a few minutes later and I started crying hysterically. I still can't get the image out of my head. I already felt like Ella was more curious and adventurous (and thus a little more challenging) then Brody at her age - but now it is confirmed.

So my mothers day present this weekend is that I am still a mother to Ella. She IS alive and I guess I have to just keep telling myself that every time she lives through another day of her toddler-hood.

As a side note...she only ate out of the toilet twice today. And once it was clean water...and as another side note this doesn't happen because I am completely inattentive. Brody opens the door to go to the bathroom without telling me and while he is trying to pull up his pants, she dips clean toilet paper into his pee and eats it. So I have one child I need to get into the bathroom and the other I need to keep out.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

What a stinker! What can you put in that space on the balcony???? I would've reacted the same way. Thank goodness it all turned out safely!

Lisa said...

I can't believe she squeezed through that!? You poor thing, I would have been hysterical too.

Megan said...

OMGosh! I can't believe the left that much space on the balcony & it passed code. A child (obviously) or a dog could slip thru there so easily! SOOOO glad your adventurous little girl is okay!!!!

Brooke and Aaron said...

That's crazy! I'm glad everyone is okay. Another lesson learned, I guess. I would definitely look into getting that blocked somehow. Your post about Brody's blastball is hilarious. Your family is too funny.