If you're going to have a fake tree you gotta do something to make your house smell yummy, right? I made these ornaments when I was younger so I thought I'd give it another shot. I googled it and found several recipes, but ended up experimenting. Most called for equal parts applesauce and cinnamon, but I found that to be too runny. I ended up doing more like 3 to 1 and added in some cloves and nutmeg. We mixed it, rolled it out and had a fun morning using cookie cutters to make the ornaments. We had them dry out in the oven at the lowest setting for close to three hours and then after dinner we hung them. There was a lot more than I expected - so I was almost relieved if one broke here or there when we were taking them off the tray. They are all over the house - we've now decorated a small ficus tree, our chandilier, our bedroom doors, and the bar that overlooks the family room. We should hand them out to any visitors that come over - we have plenty! Brody was mostly into eating the dough, and then saying it tasted like dirt but he liked it. He also enjoyed picking out the different shapes to cut out - we are complete with hands, feet, cowboy boots, trains, cars as well as all the traditional Christmas favorites. It was a fun, but much longer project than I anticipated!
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Very cute! You're such a good mom.
Post a Comment